Sunday, November 20, 2011

Really... Xmas?

Well this year has just gone in a snap. So much happening and not enough time for blogging.
My sisters have been ON MY CASE about my blog. More of it they say.
Truth is, I go quiet when things are not good, and I've had some worries with the kids that are ALL fine now. And we were told a month ago that our lease is being cut short and have had to organise a move prior to Xmas. One more week and my life will be packed up in boxes and into a truck.
In the mean time, I have a mile long To Do list that keeps growing by the day.

But today I have checked off one thing on the list. Teacher gifts.
My sisters can tell you, our mum was not the best cook however she rocked the sweet home cooked treats. My Lord she could whip up a novelty birthday cake in the blink of an eye and look out dentists... her Xmas treats were best only eaten at Xmas. .. sweet and moreish :)
So I though it best to make some coconut ice and wrap it up all lovely in cellophane and give that to the teachers. I had never attempted this before but figured, hey if I can bake a cake and a mean pav, i can do coconut ice.. right?


Not so.  It turned out crumbly and cracked when I tried to cut it. So that idea quickly went out the window at the pure delight of my sugar deprived children (thank you Michelle Bridges - will fill you in soon enough).


I made these cute little gift bags today. they were meant to fit the Xmas ball inside but yet another plan that quickly got changed.


So now the teachers are getting a massive gingerbread cookie that upon closer inspection could very well be a dog biscuit, a candy cane, a chocolate Santa & said Xmas tree decoration that has a bell in it.

Not my best effort, but certainly good enough I say.


My little 'picjacker' loves to jump into the blog pics and do funny faces.


So there you go sista's - How not to make Mum's coconut ice... or is it Nana's... or Mum's Nana?
How to adapt a plan under pressure and a cute pic of your nephew.

xox

5 comments:

  1. Thank you!!!! I love my little picjacker :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I definitely could have told you that coconut ice is HARD to make. Apricot balls are my favourite even though I hate apricots!! M

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for a good laugh! I think that the teachers will be surprised and happy to receive an unusual Christmas gift.
    All the best for your upcoming moving, I can not imagine: just before the festivities, too bad.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just checked out Gran's recipe which was Nana K's...
    1 1/2 Cups sugar
    Pinch of Cream of Tartar
    1/4 Cup water
    2T coconut
    4 drops food colouring
    Put sugar, cream of tartar & water in a saucepan, stir til it boils, boil til the blow degree (when you put a little bit on a saucer & blow on it, it will ripple). Pour into a wet bowl, cover with wet paper, cool. When cool beat until creamy & add coconut.

    I remember your mum's christmas treats coming through the door in ice cream buckets. Happy days! Shame we weren't allowed to 'guts' them :D Kat x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Kat.
    Will have to try Nana Kays version and see if I have more luck.
    The sugar bugs will be rejoicing.
    How good were mum's xmas treats...we guts them alright,just when they weren't looking :)

    ReplyDelete